- Ability Score Racial Traits: In many ways the shifter mindset is closer to that of an animal than a humanoid. They receive -2 Cha (but see Shifting Below).
- Type: Shifters are humanoids with the shapechanger subtype.
- Size: Shifters are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Base Speed: Shifters have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Shifters begin play speaking Common. Shifters with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Elven, Gnome, Halfling and Sylvan.
- Athletic: A shifter gains a +2 bonus to Acrobatics and Climb checks.
- Wild Empathy: Shifters can use wild empathy as a 1st-level druid, or gain a +1 bonus on wild empathy checks if they possess wild empathy from another source.
- Damage Reduction: Shifters gain damage reduction 1/silver.
- Shifting: A shifter can take on bestial traits as a free action, taking a -2 penalty to Int but also gaining a +2 bonus to two other ability scores chosen at 1st level. He may stay shifted for a number of minutes per day equal to 3 + his Con modifier, which need not be consecutive. He may stay shifted for 1 additional minute for every Shifter feat he possesses.
- Razorclaw: While shifting you gain a pair of claws. These are secondary natural attacks that deal 1d4 damage, +1 damage for every four character levels.
- Low-light vision: Shifters can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following traits may replace Razorclaw or one of the ability score boosts gained while shifting.
- Beasthide: While shifting you gain a +2 bonus to natural armor. If you gain this ability a second time the bonus increases by an additional +2.
- Beastmind: You do not take a penalty to Intelligence while shifting, and may apply one of the ability score boosts from shifting to Intelligence. If you gain this ability a second time you may expend 1 minute of shifting as a full-round action to change your remaining shifter trait to any other shifter trait (if you somehow gain another shifter trait beyond this then it remains fixed).
- Cliffwalk: While shifting you gain a climb speed equal to half your land speed. If you gain this ability a second time your climb speed becomes equal to your land speed.
- Dreamsight: While shifting you gain the benefits of a speak with animals spell and a +2 bonus on wild empathy checks. In addition, Handle Animal is always a class skill for you. If you gain this ability a second time then while shifting you also gain Skill Focus (Perception) as a bonus feat and may spend a swift action to gain the benefits of see invisibility for 1 round.
- Gorebrute: While shifting you grow a set of horns, granting a gore attack. This is a primary natural attack that deals 1d6 damage, +1 damage for every four character levels. You may only use your gore attack as part of a charge. If you do not attack with any other weapons as part of this charge, your horns deal double damage. If you gain this ability a second time then once per round when you damage a creature with your gore attack you may make a trip attempt against them as a free action.
- Longstride: While shifting you gain a +10ft bonus to land speed. If you gain this ability a second time the bonus increases by an additional +10ft.
- Longtooth: While shifting your teeth become long and sharp, granting a bite attack. This is a primary natural attack that deals 1d6 damage, +1 damage for every four character levels. If you gain this ability a second time then any living creature damaged by your bite attack also takes 1 point of bleed damage.
- Razorclaw: If you gain this ability a second time then you can make two claw attacks at the end of a charge at your highest attack bonus (plus the +2 bonus for charging).
- Swiftwing: While shifting you gain a fly speed equal to half your land speed with average maneuverability. You may not use your hands for anything while flying, though they may still carry objects. In addition, Fly is always a class skill for you. If you gain this ability a second time your fly speed becomes equal to your land speed, its maneuverability becomes good, and you gain a +4 bonus on Fly checks even while not shifting.
- Truedive: While shifting you gain a swim speed equal to your land speed, and a +8 bonus on Swim checks. In addition you may hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to 5x your Consititution score, even while not shifting. If you gain this ability a second time your swim speed increases by +10ft and you do not take penalties on melee attacks underwater.
- Wildhunt: While shifting you gain the Scent ability. In addition, Survival is always a class skill for you. If you gain this ability a second time then while shifting you also gain blindsense 30ft.
Favoured Class Bonuses
- Whenever you ingest a mutagen or cognatogen, your increased ability score increases by an additional +1/5.
- Add +1 to the barbarian's total number of rage rounds per day.
- Add a +1/2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks and Intimidate checks to change a creature's attitude.
- The fighter gains +1/3 DR/silver.
- Add a +1/2 circumstance bonus on critical hit confirmation rolls with natural weapons while shifting (maximum bonus of +4). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus.
- Add a +1/2 bonus on Survival checks and Intimidate checks to change a creature's attitude.
- Add +1/4 to the totemist's essentia pool.
- The wilder gains 1 bonus power point.
Original: Eberron Campaign Setting